Sunday, November 20, 2011

No, I Won't Just "Let It Go"


Don't worry, this is a staged shot
of L7 and A6.
As I continue to work as a nanny I have discovered that the sharing of adult wisdom when children are having a "discussion" of sorts could be listed at the top of the job description.  Some might refer to this simply as "refereeing". L7 and N6 are great kids who have a fun sister-brother relationship but they also have their fair and normal share of conflict.  The adults in the house are working are encouraging the kiddos to use kind words and a calm tone of voice to minimize sources and outbursts of anger.  However, we are also working on encouraging them to LET IT GO.

(Also, if you're confused about these cryptic code names being used, I explain it all here). 
In a good mood and working the camera.
For instance:

What, you came in from outside and someone else closed the garage door behind you?  Probably let it go.  (Or, you know, cry about it.  Whatever works).

Someone is walking down the stairs with you and then quickens their pace, and arrives at the bottom first?  Hmm... I would also say this is a "let it go" situation. 

Letting things go is a huge part of my marriage and my life.  It is both helpful and frustrating that I married the King of the Nobel Land of Letting Go-Ness but mostly a good thing, as he forgives faults and minor frustrations freely and easily and has a knack for moving on and not letting things get to him. 

Typically, when people talk about letting go, they are referring to things of a negative nature.  Let go of the past - it's gone.  Let go of your anger - it won't help.  Let go of that loss - try to move on. 

However, right now, I do not want to let go. 

I want to cling on to the goodness of God that has been overflowing around Ryan and I and continue to welcome it with open arms.  Here I am, God.  Please, continue this shower of blessings - You are amazing!

This concept struck me the other morning as I was reading one of the psalms.  The author wrote this now-familiar line: "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; His love endures forever."  (Psalm 118:1, 29)


How many millions of people have said, read, or sang that line, over the course of thousands of years?  How many people can testify to the sheer truth and greatness of that statement?  God's ever-enduring love and goodness is not something we should just "get over."  Simply observing that God is good, always and forever, give thanks, and then letting go would be ridiculous.  Likewise, we should embrace this amazing truth, celebrate it, and live our lives in light of it.

I realize that my last blog post was primarily about being in the center of God's will and how amazing that feels and this post about God's goodness could come across as redundant.  But then again - how could God's love ever become redundant?  People have been singing His praises for thousands of years and it won't be stopping anytime soon.  This is the soul's natural response to such truth. 

So, I am not letting go of God's goodness to me.  I am savoring the fact that I have an amazing employer and I love going to work.  I delight in the jokes and cuddles I share with my husband each day.  I humbly adore the ways that God is molding me and humbling me as I read through Hosea and understand even more how the Israelites are just like me.  I am in true awe of how God has provided for us financially as we moved from the ever practical,  stable [and salary-earning] lives we lived in Fargo to this affluent, expensive area.  We are paying for Ryan's grad school and we aren't earning a salary and yet... it's okay.  Seriously.  I have been keeping a list of the all the things that have happened and blessed us in our finances since we moved here in August.  There are 25 items on it as of this week, 25 different ways God has intervened in our lives so that we can pay our bills, have enough to eat, etc., etc...

This short list is only the beginning of things that I have been blessed by lately.  So yes, I am basking in God's everlasting love and goodness.

I am not letting go of this.  I am giving thanks and holding on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment