Friday, September 30, 2011

Run down on the nanny family

I have been nannying for some time now and I basically love it.  It's a great fit for me and I am settling into routines and life with this most excellent family.  I have also gotten the go-ahead to post pictures of the kiddos, who I will affectionately refer to by letters and potentially their age.  I considered doing this in real life but it is more awkward in the spoken vernacular than in the written word.  (And yes, I just wanted a reason to use the word vernacular).

Here they are, summarized for you:

L7: Oldest child, female.  Has a memory sharper than a shark's tooth.  Enjoys reading, biking, talking, asking questions, playing violin (usually), and fairy-related items.  It was from her that I learned you need to be 14 years old before you can be a tooth a fairy. 


N6: Moved from youngest to second-oldest 18 months ago - a big adjustment.  Loves all things Lego and transportation and has ongoing "vroommmm" sounds exuding from his mouth during said activities.  Another avid reader.  An active little boy, he bikes, runs, and swings with vigor.  Plays cello and thinks it's awesome when I play piano with him on "Old MacDonald." 

A17m: 17-month old girl. Most expressive faces I've ever seen. I love them all, especially when the nose is scrunched.


Swinging is a favorite activity!
 
 A17m enjoys: doing anything her siblings are doing, "reading" through books by flipping a couple of pages and grabbing a new one (though she will listen to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"), approaching "Babababa" (babies) while they're on their tummies and patting them (similar to burping them), and being silly.  She has super-cute babbles and we are working on getting more words.  She is smart but also screams when everything isn't going her way.  Ah, the life of a toddler.   
Peek-a-boo!

K in the swing. 
 S5m and K5m: I am working on noticing the differences between this identical duo, as to not always lump them as one entity, "The Twins."  So far, here's what I've got:

K is chubbier of the twins, probably by a pound and a half or so.  Think that's not much?  Imagine being 10% heavier than someone exactly your size and who has the same genetic make-up of you.  He enjoys kicking his legs with great enthusiasm while on the changing table and has gigantic eyes.  He also has a distinct "Prelude to a Cry" song in his vocal repertoire, which somewhat resembles a raccoon noises or small animal yelps.  This means: "I am not crying yet but if you don't get me some food soon, I will give you full-blown shrieks and tears." 


S5m enjoys being held more than K and has a leaner torso and face.  He is more likely to scrunch up into hungry face and cry if something is wrong or if he wants to be cuddled.  He recently added rap noises to his repertoire of sounds, which are these spitty lip bubble things where air comes out of his mouth without actually opening it.  He also has a great smile and seems to enjoy looking around at all that's going on.  He was a little behind brother K in raising his head but with much training, S is also able to raise his head and look around while lying on his belly.  (K does this with slightly greater ease).
S observing the world (and the photographer)



K with his huge eyes on the left, S on the right.  This picture also demonstrates the passion these boys have for sucking on their fingers. 




This is my new life.  Though I still get nostalgic (read: a little sad) when I think about the 200 or so kids I left behind in Fargo I think I am doing moderately well at embracing my new job, with my new kids.  Working with only 5 kids is a huge change from so many, obviously. While I think that I so darn extroverted and working with large groups is a special niche for me, working with merely 5 kids is a different kind of good thing for me.   I have a separate blog post rolling around in my mind, discussing the various things I have learned thus far from my new job, but suffice it to say for now, I'm learning new things.


Learning new things is always a good thing!  Have you learned something new today?



No comments:

Post a Comment