Sunday, April 8, 2012

Guess what?!

I get to spend a small but exciting half hour of my week one on one in a small practice room with an eager six year old musician.  Yes, Emily the Piano Teacher is back.  I don't have as many students as I did in Fargo (which is actually kind of a relief) but it's students like this that make me happy to be teaching in this capacity.

We had a pre-lesson conversation in which I asked her about school, and she went on and on, and then I asked her more specifically about math.  She said: "We're learning about penguins!" and proceded to have me guess how tall emporer penguins are (three to four feet) and spurt out other bits of knowledge about the said mathematical creatures, often starting her statements with "Did you know that..." or "Guess what?!"  (Side note: If you work around children, you need to understand that "Guess what?" is not actually a question requiring an answer but a means for them to fully proceed onward in their monologue of communication that they want to share with you.  It's suppose to make it sound like they're truly interested in your response but mostly they just need to share). 

Then, she started telling me about predators of penguins.  She couldn't quite remember what they were called, but after describing what they did, she realized they were whales.  Then, she told me:

"Killer whales can kill anything.  Except Jesus."

How true that is - killer whales can kill anything, but probably not our RISEN Lord and Savior.
Happy Easter to all!  I hope you get a chance to celebrate the new life that is possible through the work of Jesus Christ.  He is amazing, conquering sin and death... and could totally take a killer whale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment